top border

Please note, not all links may be active. This site is a snapshot of an earlier time.

Winds of change: Light snow possible today

Jason Samenow @ 12:42 PM

12:30pm update: Light snow is mainly focused to our south and southeast with just some flurries around town. Expect any intermittent flurry activity to taper off by 2pm, followed by gradual clearing and COLD temperatures.

After highs in the 60s for the past two days, high temperatures today will be a good 25 degrees colder AND there's snow in the forecast. Bundle up -- but you don't need to rush to the grocery store :)

Forecast Details

A STRONG cold front moved through yesterday, bringing gusty winds to the region (see photo to the right). Behind said front, cold air has been trickling in, and highs today will only be 35-40. A weak wave passing well to our south is likely to have a large enough shield of precipitation that at least part of the area will see snow.

Snow notes:
  • Snow is most likely to fall between 8am and 2pm.
  • The southern suburbs are the most likely areas to see snow.
  • Intensity should be mostly light although brief periods of moderate snow are possible, particularly south of DC.
  • There is a 40% probability that enough snow will fall to whiten the ground in the immediate metro area, but only a 20% probability of 1" or more of accumulation. This leaves about 40% chance of seeing just a couple flurries or zip, zilch, nada.
  • Watch the radar tomorrow morning. This is going to be more or less a nowcasting event. I'll post updates if conditions warrant and I encourage you to post comments with reports from where you live.
  • The warm ground and daytime timing of the event will minimize the impact of any snow that falls.
Beyond today

Expect very cold conditions overnight with lows in the upper teens downtown and in the mid teens in the colder suburbs. Tonight may be the coldest night of the season. Sunday will be mostly sunny but COLD, with highs just 30-35.

Pictured: The winds blows in Greenbelt, Md. yesterday. By photographer Kevin Ambrose.

Visitor Feature Photo

This outstanding photo was submitted by BrownPau and is entitled: "Washington Monument Tree Panorama". Photos of last weekend's snow continue to trickle in via Flickr -- check them out. I will post visitor photos on weekends that are particularly good/creative. Keep them coming.

Comments are closed for this archived entry | Link | email post Email this post