top border

Please note, not all links may be active. This site is a snapshot of an earlier time.

Volatile week ahead:
Severe thunderstorms possible later today

Jason Samenow @ 7:50 AM

A strong spring cold front with a history of producing severe thunderstorms rolls through the area this afternoon and evening. The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) in Norman, Oklahoma suggests we are under a slight risk of severe storms (30% probability), capable of producing strong winds, hail and isolated tornadoes. The greatest threat of severe storms is to our southeast, where the SPC has highlighted a moderate risk.

From the SPC:
Snapshot of today:
  • 7am-11am: Scattered showers and even a rumble or two of thunder possible this morning as a warm front crosses the area.
  • 11am-4pm: Mostly cloudy, with occasional peeks of sun. Temperatures rising into the mid 60s.
  • 4-8pm:A 60% chance of thunderstorms. Some may be severe with heavy rain, damaging winds and large hail.
  • Overnight: Gradual clearing and becoming windy with lows 40-45.
Today's Rainfall potential: 0.25" or less (25% probability), 0.25-0.75" (50% probability), 0.75"+ (25% probability)

The rest of the week ahead


In the wake of Monday's cold front, it will be windy and much cooler with highs only in the mid 50s. An energetic upper level wave will pass to our north Tuesday night that may produce a snow flurry or two mostly north and west of DC -- especially in the mountains. Temperatures will drop into the low to mid 30s in the suburbs to the upper 30s downtown.


It will remain cool and breezy as northwest flow persists over the area. Under a mix of clouds and sun, expect highs in the mid 50s. Overnight, winds will begin to subside a bit, and it will be chilly. Frost is likely in the suburbs, with lows near 30. Downtown readings should drop into the mid 30s.


As high pressure builds in from the west and the northwesterly flow slackens, temperatures will moderate some. High temperatures should reach the low 60s under sunny skies. Thursday night will be clear and seasonable, with lows from the mid to upper 30s in the suburbs, to the low 40s downtown.


As the high moves off the coast and a warm front lifts through the area, southerly winds will return. The warm front could trigger a shower or two (30% probability), but assuming we get some sunshine temperatures should approach 70. Some steadier rain may fall Friday night as a cold front approaches from the west. Low temperatures will probably be mild -- and in the 50s.


The cold front may pass sometime during the morning allowing for slow clearing in the afternoon. But the timing is uncertain. If the front is delayed in coming through, clouds and rain showers could persist into the afternoon. High temperatures are likely to be in the low 60s. Saturday night looks to be mostly clear, with lows in the 40s.


High pressure and sunshine are likely to return by Sunday with seasonable temperatures in the low to mid 60s.


Average highs this week are in the low to mid 60s, with average overnight lows in the low to mid 40s.

A Look Back At Yesterday

Pictured: High clouds increase towards sunset at the Lincoln Memorial. By photographer Ian Livingston

Forecast Contest Results

The winter forecast contest was, to the nearest inch, predict the amount of snow that would fall between December 1 and March 31 at Reagan National Airport. 13.6" fell-->which rounds up to 14". Remarkably, out of nearly 100 entrants, six accurately predicted 14" would fall. They are: Sarah L., Paul Colleti, Jessica Frohman, Robert Linn Jr., Howard Don and Al Lambert. Well done.

The tiebreaker was to predict the lowest temperature. 14 degrees was the low. Al Lambert, who predicted the low would be 11, came the closest to this, and is therefore the winner of the contest. Jessica Frohman who called for a low of 10 is the runner-up. Al wins the choice of a Midland Weather Radio or a framed Kevin Ambrose photo. Jessica will receive the prize Al does not choose. will be in touch with each of the winners to coordinate prize selection and delivery. Congratulations.

An honorable mention goes to Charles Tsui who predicted 13.4" would fall and that the low would be 14.2 degrees. This forecast was exceptional -- as he was only 0.2" off the actual snow that fell and essentially correct on the low temperature. However, because the directions for the contest directed contestants to forecast "to the nearest inch", we had to round down his 13.4" forecast to 13" and round up the actual snowfall of 13.6" to 14" -- putting him out of the running.

Poll Update

After week one of the "Who's your favorite primary weathercaster" poll, Doug Hill holds a slight edge over Bob Ryan. Sue Palka and Topper Shutt follow in distant third and fourth place. I am going to leave this poll up for one more week. If you haven't voted, please do. But don't vote more than once.

Comments are closed for this archived entry | Link | email post Email this post